Your teeth are built to take a serious amount of pressure. To protect them, your teeth are coated in a super-strong substance called enamel. The enamel on your teeth also protects your teeth from decay, infection, and cavities. However, there are some things that your teeth are just not built to handle. We want to look at 5 terrible habits that can cause problems for your teeth and may even result in you needing to visit your general dentist.
Monrovia patients that are suffering from any kind of pain or sensitivity with their teeth should call Dr. Q today at (626) 599-9819. One of the best things you can do for your teeth is to get any issues treated as soon as possible. Not only will it keep the problems from getting worse, but it could prevent you from needing a more costly treatment in the future. Dr. Q also offers a wide range of cosmetic procedures as well including Invisalign, dental implants, veneers, and teeth whitening. We can’t wait to hear from you.
5 Habits That Hurt Your Teeth
Take a look at these 5 common habits that can end up damaging your teeth. If you recognize any of these in your life, it’s a great idea to do your best to change the habit so you don’t wind up needing the help of a general dentist. Monrovia patients almost always have this first habit.
- Using your mouth to open things – From a bag of chips to a candy wrapper, many of our Monrovia patients use their teeth to rip into plastic bags. The danger here is chipping your teeth because of the pressure. The pressure is also hard on your gums.
- Nail biting – If you bite your nails, it could be time to think about strategies to stop. Biting your nails not only risks chipping your teeth, but it’s also tough on your jaw.
- Vigorous brushing – One of the more common problems that many patients are shocked to learn about is brushing too hard. It’s best to use light pressure instead of pressing the brush into your teeth. This can slowly wear away the enamel and leave your teeth vulnerable to cavities.
- Grinding teeth – Also called bruxism, grinding your teeth puts huge amounts of pressure on your teeth. This can lead to cracks and chips in your teeth. It can also cause gum recession.
- Soda – One of the primary causes of tooth decay in the nation is drinking soda. Not only does the soda contain acid that wears away the enamel, but it also washes your teeth in sugar. The bacteria in your mouth feast on the sugar and secrete a powerful acid as a waste product. The acid then eats through your enamel, which causes cavities. If you drink soda, it’s a good idea to switch to a different drink.
Why Choose Dr. Q for Your General Dentist
Monrovia patients often have a great deal of anxiety when it comes to going to the dentist. We definitely understand this. That’s exactly why Dr. Q has become one of the most respected and “in demand” dentists in the area. Our patients appreciate the tremendous care and compassion she provides them at every visit. We also offer a full spectrum of sedation dentistry options to ensure that you’re comfortable from start to finish. Dr. Q has been providing world class dental treatment for over ten years as both a cosmetic and general dentist. Monrovia patients rave about her and have even taken the time to write about their experiences on our Reviews page.
Call us today at (626) 599-9819 to learn more and get started.