Different Types of Crowns
Dr. Q strives for results to be as natural as possible. She uses only zirconia and gold for crowns which are long-lasting and do not compromise safety. Other dentists still use silver, which is about 90% mercury, and can further damage your teeth because they expand and contract as the temperature changes.
Placing a Dental Crown
After a consultation that involves an in-depth discussion about your dental health and potential treatment options, our friendly staff will set up an appointment for you to return. The first appointment will involve:
- Anesthesia to numb the treatment area.
- Taking an impression of your tooth to ensure the proper fit.
- Matching the shade of your crown to your natural teeth.
- Removing existing decay to prevent it from spreading.
- Placing the temporary crown while your permanent crown is made.
You will be able to eat normally with your temporary crown once the anesthesia wears off. The permanent crown typically takes one to two weeks to create, and you’ll need to come in for a follow-up appointment to switch out the temporary for the permanent.
Options for Sedation
Placing a crown can be uncomfortable, but it’s not painful. Dr. Q will use local anesthesia to numb the area, but for some Monrovia patients that is not enough to calm their nerves. To help you relax, our practice offers two sedation dentistry options:
- Nitrous oxide is inhaled through a mask placed over your nose and takes effect immediately. The flow of nitrous oxide and oxygen can be adjusted based on how you feel and the effects wear off five minutes after treatment.
- Oral sedation involves taking a pill an hour before your procedure. Once the pill has kicked in, you will be awake but may doze off occasionally. If you choose this option, you’ll need someone to drive you home after your crown is placed.
Sedation is an option that we offer to relieve dental anxiety, which we understand is very common in dental patients. We know that a visit to the dentist can be challenging for many Monrovia patients and we will do everything we can to make you feel comfortable and relaxed.
Read Our Reviews
Caring for Your Dental Crown
A crown is placed to protect your tooth, but it needs to be cared for the same way you do a natural tooth. For patients who have never had a crown before, it can feel strange for the first week until you get used to the feeling. Dr. Q may even need to reshape the crown to provide you with a better fit if you feel it is uncomfortable.
How Long Will My Crown Last?
Dental crowns are created to endure the same force of biting and chewing as normal teeth do. Like your natural teeth, a crown is susceptible to the same problems and may require additional work if you don’t care for it properly.
Real Patient Results
More About Our Practice
Dr. Q has practiced cosmetic and general dentistry in the Monrovia area for over ten years. In that time, she has assembled dedicated staff members and specialists to treat a wide variety of conditions. Her practice features digital imaging and advanced diagnostic and treatment options to enhance patient comfort. When you become a patient of Dr. Q Dental, you are treated like family.
If you need a crown, please contact our office in the Monrovia area today at (626) 599-9819.