As a dentist with a holistic approach, Dr. Q provides her patients in the Duarte and Monrovia areas with information and education regarding diet, lifestyle choices, and nutritional supplements that may help enhance their overall health and contribute to healthier teeth and gums. With a view toward long-term dental health, Dr. Q recommends several nutritional supplements that may assist patients in improving their dental health as well as their overall well-being.
Vitamins Help The Body Absorb Minerals
While minerals such as calcium and magnesium are most often associated with strengthening the health and structure of our teeth and bones, we often don’t stop to realize that the body cannot absorb minerals properly without vitamins to act as coenzymes that assist in the absorption process.
For example, the body may not properly absorb calcium unless it is accompanied by Vitamin C. Therefore, it is important to combine vitamins with minerals in order to achieve a complete nutritional approach rather than simply taking minerals such as calcium or magnesium alone.
5 Key Vitamins for Dental Health
Dr. Q recommends that her Duarte and Monrovia patients pay special attention to their nutritional intake, and strive to include essential vitamins that help the body absorb minerals, as well as providing key nutrients that strengthen gum tissue as well as bone. There are two types of vitamins: water-soluble vitamins, which our bodies require daily since our bodies have no way to store them; and fat-soluble vitamins which our bodies store in organs and fatty tissue. Both types are present in a variety of food sources or may be taken as supplements.
- Retinol Vitamin A: This fat-soluble vitamin is stored in the liver and other vital bodily organs, and is present in such foods as meats and proteins.
- Vitamin B-12: This water-soluble vitamin is essential to many of the body’s natural processes and may be found in such foods as fruits and vegetables, grains, brewer’s yeast, and other sources.
- Vitamin C: Known as one of the most essential nutrients in the human body, and responsible for healing and countering the effects of free radicals in the body, this water-soluble vitamin is found in many fruits, particularly citrus fruits, pineapple, berries, tomatoes, and other fruits that are noted for their tart flavor.
- Vitamin D: Perhaps the most often prescribed vitamin supplement by dentists and other health providers, Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that is often sorely lacking in the human diet, resulting in weakening of the teeth and bones. Vitamin D may be absorbed directly by exposing skin to sunlight and is also present in certain foods such as dairy products, shellfish, fish oil, and dark leafy greens.
- Vitamin E: This essential fat-soluble vitamin helps to reconstruct skin and gum tissue and fight the effects of free radicals and oxidation in the body. Vitamin E may be found in such foods as nuts, seeds, and olive oil, and contributes to the body’s production of estrogen, which helps to build strong bones and teeth.
- Vitamin K: Another essential fat-soluble vitamin that assists with blood clotting and overall healing of wounds, Vitamin K is essential when undergoing any dental procedure in which bleeding may be a concern and is found primarily in dark leafy greens such as kale, parsley, and spinach.
If you are a resident of Monrovia, Duarte, or nearby communities in California, and want to know more about how proper supplementation may help to enhance your dental health, contact Dr. Q Dental at (626) 599-9819 to schedule an appointment and learn more about our nutritional recommendations for our patients.