Invisalign® is a brand of invisible braces that straighten your teeth without anyone noticing. The clear aligners work faster and more precisely than traditional braces. But why should you get Invisalign from your dentist?
You should get Invisalign from a dentist because dentists and orthodontists must complete the same specialized training to become certified Invisalign providers. Dental school trains dentists to recognize issues with the alignment of your teeth, jaw, and bite. Add Invisalign training and advanced technology to your dentist’s experience, and you will get safe, predictable results.
Benefits of Choosing a Dentist For Invisalign Treatment
- You already trust your dentist, and that can positively affect your treatment outcome.
- A long-term relationship with a dentist can help preserve your new smile.
- Getting Invisalign from a dentist saves time.
If you need a little more convincing on getting Invisalign from a dentist, here are a few reasons why you should get Invisalign from a dentist:
1. Invisalign Is Not Just for Orthodontists
Although an orthodontist is the first professional that often comes to mind when considering braces, thousands of dentists offer Invisalign. The Invisalign website states that each certified provider must complete specialized training taught exclusively by Invisalign. You can be confident that your Invisalign-certified dentist completed the training and was approved to achieve successful results with the clear aligners.
2. Trust in Your Dentist Can Affect Invisalign Treatment
Completing your Invisalign treatment with your dentist can give you a better outcome in several ways. A February 2017 study published by the Public Library of Science (PLOS) showed that patients who trust their health care provider are more satisfied with the treatment, experience fewer symptoms, and have healthier habits.
How is the study related to your Invisalign treatment?
Your established relationship with your dentist can make it easier to openly discuss any concerns or questions you have about Invisalign treatment. The answers—and your dentist’s reassurance—can minimize your anxiety and increase your satisfaction with Invisalign treatment. If you are usually anxious or nervous about dental visits, getting Invisalign from your regular dentist can help erase some of this worry.
Your ability to communicate openly and comfortably with your dentist helps refine the details of your treatment. If you think something is not quite right during any treatment phase, you will feel comfortable notifying your dentist. And your dentist will work with the Invisalign lab to determine if they need to adjust your aligners or your treatment plan. As the aligners gently but precisely move your teeth, you will have maximum comfort.
Your and your dentist’s concern for a successful outcome will be more personalized because your dentist already knows you well. Successful Invisalign treatment requires healthy habits—diligence in wearing the aligners full time and maintaining excellent oral hygiene. Your existing relationship with your dentist can motivate you to adhere to the program. You can proudly keep your checkup appointments, knowing that you are fulfilling your role in a partnership to improve your smile.
3. A Long-Term Relationship Helps Preserve Your Smile
Successful orthodontic treatment requires a long-term commitment. As with all braces, when you complete Invisalign treatment, you will need to wear a retainer. Depending on your case, you might need to wear a retainer at night throughout your lifetime.
Your long-term relationship with your dentist will help you keep your teeth aligned and healthy.
- Preventive care – During your routine exam and cleaning appointments, your dentist and hygienist will notice any subtle changes in your teeth or bite.
- Smile advocates – Your dental team will also be your smile advocates by reminding you how essential it is to wear your retainer and preserve the effort, time, and money you invested in Invisalign.
4. Getting Invisalign from a Dentist Saves Time
You will save time if you complete Invisalign treatment with a dentist you already see on a routine basis. Your dentist knows you and has information about your dental history for a smooth transition to orthodontic treatment.
- Medical and dental records and x-rays – Immediate access to your records makes it convenient for your dentist to find answers about your health history and develop your treatment plan.
- Familiarity with your case – Your dentist knows your oral health history and your smile goals. Your dentist will not need to coordinate your care with an orthodontist to develop a strategy for Invisalign and any other treatment required to help you achieve your long-term goals and maintain good oral health.
- Convenience – The convenience of visiting one dental office for exams, cleanings, and Invisalign treatment will save you hours of appointment and travel time. Every phase of Invisalign treatment is completed at your dentist’s office.
- Patient forms and insurance billing – Your dentist already has your patient records and details about your insurance. You will have a minimal amount of paperwork to complete when you consent to Invisalign treatment.
What Can You Expect with Invisalign from a Dentist?
When you receive Invisalign from a dentist, you can expect a high standard of care. The Invisalign lab closely partners with each provider to develop a treatment plan that moves each tooth with precision.
The Invisalign process is straightforward and helps each certified dentist or orthodontist achieve predictable results:
- You will have an initial consultation with your dentist.
- Your dentist will take x-rays, pictures, and a digital scan of your teeth.
- Using Invisalign technology, your dentist will work with Invisalign technicians to develop a treatment plan.
- The Invisalign lab will develop a 3-D model of your teeth that shows the precise movements required to align them.
- After your dentist approves the treatment plan, the Invisalign lab will make a series of custom aligners for you to wear about 20 hours daily, except when you eat and brush and floss your teeth.
- You will wear each set of aligners for one to two weeks before switching to the next pair.
- Every six weeks, you will have a checkup appointment with your dentist.
- When you complete Invisalign treatment, you will have achieved a more gorgeous smile.
Dr. Charlyn Quiec (Dr. Q) of Monrovia is a certified Invisalign provider who treats mild to moderate alignment issues. Contact us for a consultation with Dr. Q to find out if Invisalign is right for you.